Friday, December 4, 2009

The Secret of Two


A couple months back a good friend of mine just had her second child, she asks me, "Dom, you are going to have to tell me the secret of two". My gut reaction was to chuckle, as if I knew the secret of having two kids. At the time my oldest was 2 1/2 years old and youngest was a mere 3 months old.

Had I really figured out the secret of two?

In the last three months my life had been an adventure, to say the least. We had traveled to the San Francisco Zoo, boating on Camanche Lake, Monterey Bay Aquarium, so to say we didn't miss a beat in our lives while Amaya, the baby, just rolled with it. But that's no secret to live your life doing the things that bring you joy. But that is easy to say, and not a very good answer.

The free-spirited me constantly worries if I am fulfilling my role as mom the best way I can. What can I teach my children today? Have I learned all the nursery rhyme songs? What am I going to feed them? Who needs a nap? How long has Nick Jr been on this morning? When can i take a shower? What are the kids going to do while I take a shower? What is the weather? What are we going to wear? Are we going to have enough playtime?

Not all my questions get answered nor am I able to get it all perfect. Some days my toddler will have meltdowns, some days I will, some days we will do nothing but lay around telling silly nonsensical stories. It doesn't really matter all the time if the toys didn't get picked up or if no one went to bed on time. Relax and breathe, it'll all work out in the end.

I answered, "patience".

No comments:

Post a Comment