Monday, March 22, 2010

Sidney's Legacy

In reading Sidney Poitier "The Measure of a Man", the chapter titled Legacy, I expected to read about the actors, screen writers, directors, producers all the people that Mr. Poitier has had the honor of meeting and befriending. But it was the very last paragraph of the chapter that touched me the most. It reads:

I must ask myself what I've done to support that vision of the future. I know that one can never do enough. "To whom much is given, much is required" the Bible says, and I give money to this and to that and lend my name to certain causes. But where I've invested most in the future of this planet-- unreservedly, and from the deep heart's core-- is through the lives of six talented and intelligent young women, truly beautiful human beings, whom I burst with pride to call my daughters.

Every parent should have that perspective that their children are their legacies. I want to provide for my children so they have a better world to live in and are capable of improving the lives of the next generation. I hope to have the strength and support that Mr. Poitier carries with every word in the book.

Even though the world views Mr. Poitier as a legacy through the work he has done in and out of the entertainment industry, he views his legacy through his children. And for that I believe I love Sidney Poitier.

I could be done reading the book at this point and think it was one of the greatest books I've read, but I have three more chapters to complete.

Here's to happy reading!


1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a wonderful book! It is very touching that after all Sidney Poitier has accomplished he considers the most meaningful aspect of his life's work to be his remarkable daughters. All children should be so cherished and valued by their parents... the world would be a better place. :)

    ReplyDelete